Monday, September 24, 2007

RSSing for the future

Last year I subscribed to some (10 or more sites) via RSS popper and organised it to come to my work address then forgot all about it. After 6 weeks, I remembered and found to my horror that there were thousands of bits of information, all out-of-date that I'd downloaded. This was clogging up my email. I soon UNsubscribed to these feeds. Earlier this year I put news widgets on our protopage site and found that this was a better way to handle the news.

In the past few months I've also been involved in talking to others about RSS feeds and how they could be used by different people and/or organisations. They would be good if you wanted information about new items in the library that fitted your needs ie Science Fiction or Fantasy books for those that want that info, Golf for Dummies or Investment and How to Gain Riches for those who are waiting for ONE POWERBALL!

I think I want one page (work smarter, not harder) where I can get everything I need - email, calendar, to do lists, RSS feeds, News, Search the catalogue, Instant messaging etc. Is Igoogle the answer to this or is there something else out there waiting for me to discover. I can only dream.......

1 comment:

Librarian Kathryn said...

For now, igoogle is your best bet - with a whole bunch of google widgets. As you know, Matthias at UWA made a google widget for the TAFE library cat search box. And you can use a "Remember the Milk" widget for the To-Do list, or import it into your google calendar.

Having 20 different places to go to check things out doesn't really faze me at all....I wonder why? I always have about 20 windows open, so maybe it's because as far as I'm concerned they already are all in the same place - on the web accessed by my computer.

Wonder where the uni's attempt to develop a student and staff portal fits in all this?